On Feb 08, 2005, at 14:19, Asko Kauppi wrote:

Have you tried the Lua 5.1 '-w' cmdline flag?

Not yet. But I will now that I know about it :)

It catches all read/write to uninitialized globals, effectively safeguarding you from using them.

Sounds exactly like what I want.

The only downside I have with it, is that a global being used (set up by 'rawset') may never, ever, be given 'nil' as a value. Or you're back in square one. Having a 'global' keyword to declare these would of course solve the issue.

Lets try:

% lua -w Example.lua

lua: attempt to access undefined variable `LUA_PATH'
stack traceback:
        [C]: ?
        [C]: in function `require'
        Example.lua:6: in main chunk
        [C]: ?

'require()' doesn't seem to play well with '-w'... sigh... :/

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/