On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 01:19, David Olofson wrote:

> Of course - but there's always this "I can't build your code! What's
> that funny tool it's asking for!?"

That's why I chose Python.
It's more standard than the C compiler :)

However, Lua is viable too, even though not
distributed as widely, simply because it is
easy to build. You can just build it without
any configuration stuff, since you have
exactly one use for it you can preconfigure
it easily for that use -- Lua was, after all,
designed to be adapted and hacked like this.

That way you only require one tool: an ISO C compiler.

> Also, unless you're using *real* build tools, any tools that need to
> be executed whenever you compile a modified source file are likely to
> completely screw up the build process. It just won't work with an IDE
> that has the preprocessor, compiler, linker and everything in one
> integrated, optimized monolith tool, unless the tool has explicit and
> properly implemented support for external preprocessors.

Sure but the client doesn't need an IDE to build your
product, and you have a *real* IDE to develop it,
namely Unix.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia