[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: __pairs metamethod - is it in?
- From: Eric Scouten <scouten@...>
- Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:34:06 -0800
Asko Kauppi wrote:
..following a rather ancient thread on this list..
A quick 'grep' of Lua 5.1w4 sources reveals that the '__pairs'
metamethod is not in, at least, not yet. Has that plan been trashed
for some reason, since I feel it would suit pretty nicely in the Lua
My issue: making a "table emulating" userdata _really_ behave like a
table, also when it comes to iteration. Of course, I could redefine
'pairs'.. hmm.. ;)
Closely related: I just had a problem with ipairs. The table in question
emulates an indexed array via __index and __newindex calls that get the
desired data from another location. Unfortunately, the built-in
implementation of ipairs calls rawget and sees that there's nothing
there, so no iteration happens.
So my feature request of the day is one of two alternatives:
(1) Rewrite the built-in implementation of ipairs to use get instead of
(2) Add an __ipairs metamethod similar to the __pairs method that's been