On Jan 30, 2005, at 05:24, Chris Pressey wrote:

For that matter, why wrap tasks around objects in the first place? This isn't Java. :)

Lets put it that way:

(1) I'm just learning Lua
(2) I'm not familiar with 'functional' programming at all
(3) Due to some dramatic childhood trauma that I rather not talk about, I'm cursed with thinking in terms of [Target Action] message dispatching.

In other words, I'm trying to make sense of Lua in my own terms. It's a learning experience first and foremost. When confronted with the 'unknown' (1) (2), I naturally tend to fail back to what I know (3).

Perversely building an object system of sort on top of Lua is my own fastidious way to learn Lua proper. I'm not advocating 'this' way, versus 'that' way. One of the beauty of Lua is that it allows you to easily experiment with whatever odd obsession you may have at a given time.

I think about it in terms of 'interior design': Lua doesn't impose much 'esthetic' preconception on you. Instead of making a 'fashion' statement, I provides you with something of a blank canvas where you are pretty much free to shot yourself in whichever way you see fit.

Perhaps, at some points in the future, I will get more in tune with the 'traditional' Lua Way. But right now, I'm more struggling to make sense of it in the first place. And I'm afraid that I can only handle one problem at a given time, due to some intrinsic limitation of mine :)

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/