On Thursday 20 January 2005 11:24, skaller wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 21:34, David Given wrote:
> > Point of information: the OS I work on during my real job does everything
> > non-blocking.
>
> Which OS is that? [I'm curious ..]

intent; http://withintent.biz, although that's really a marketing website and
doesn't contain much actual information. It's main claim to fame is extreme
portability --- code gets compiled into byte-code, which gets translated into
machine code as its loaded. Near-native performance on any platform, with
portable binaries.

I'm using Lua as a general scripting language for doing builds, massaging data
files and the like, and also experimenting with it as an RAD language for the
GUI system. I managed to implement a UDP-based instant messaging system,
complete with GUI, in 42 lines of Lua. Not bad.

However, this is still all internal and experimental, and may not make it into
a product. This message is unofficial and is likely to be a figment of my
imagination.

> > Linux is getting support for real AIO, but it's non-standard and not yet
> > there.
>
> Meantime, people have to do user space hackery.

*sigh* Nods.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "If you're up against someone more intelligent
+- www.cowlark.com --+