On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 04:08 -0800, Vijay Aswadhati wrote:

> Could you throw some light on what exactly your 'language of choice' will be
> for? For example are you looking for a language to replace whatever shell
> the current Linux distribution you are using provides OR are you looking for
> a language along the lines of PERL, TCL but only smaller in footprint,....

We are currently looking at using a fairly conventional embedded Linux
setup.  In the work that we have done to date we have used a busybox
based system.  Our "language of choice" would be the language that we
use to write some of what sits above this.  If it were not for it's
size, we would probably use Python for a number of factors, including a
nice set of libraries to do a variety of things.

One of the key aims of our project is to provide resources that will
break the poverty cycle, as you are well aware, vocational training is a
powerful way of doing this (the old "give a man a net etc").  A benefit
of having the option of an interpreted language is that we are able to
provide a method of teaching basic (even advanced) computer programming
with low overheads.

> > what we are seeking at this point is any information that would help
> > us on this decision.  Does anyone have experience using Lua in an embedded
> > environment (as in hardware embedded, rather than software)? Or even in
> > a handheld environment?
> >

> Lua is designed for embedded environments ('from the ground up' as many
> would say and I agree) and you should find many on this list with such
> experience - I am surprised with the few replies that you got for your post.
> May I gently remind you to provide a subject line when you post to a mailing
> list, this will certainly get you more readership and possibly more

I do apologise for a lack of a subject.  It is one of my many
weaknesses, I seem to have complete writers block when trying to write a
subject line.  I did spend a short while umming and ahhing trying to
decide one.

> > Comments, suggestions etc would be most gratefully received.  For
> > more information, there is a P3 web site: http://www.p3international.org
>
> As others have suggested, you should look hard for such an ambitious
> project. Since you asked, here is one alternative that may interest you but
> MAY require some work for your target environment. Try TCC (Tiny C Compiler)
> available at http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/ which can also double up as
> a C language interpreter. It of course does not have all fun features of Lua
> but it has its own merits.

Many thanks for the suggestion, will look into it.

			Tom

| Tom Pike thwpike@p3international.org     |
| P3 International www.p3international.org |