Tom Pike wrote:
	I am a developer for the P3 Project (Providing Palms for the Poor).
Our aim is to break the poverty cycle by providing information and other
technology services to those who are amongst the world's poorest.  We
have had a pilot project in Soppeng, Indonesia, where farmers were
provided with information about Biocycle farming.

That's thoroughly awesome, though 'Biocycle' farming is new to me.
Is that sustainable organic farming through intelligent crop rotation?

	We are well aware of Lua's small footprint, and this is a great
advantage to us (I read a thread about how to reduce the size of Python,
eventually it recommended using Lua!).  We are also very aware that our
language selection has to be a good one as we will be tying ourselves to
it for a few years once going to production.

It's an interesting question.  I guess Lua bytecode is quite
compact compared to most compiled languages (though x86 is pretty
compact) and it's an amazingly flexible language.  I think at
this point if I were faced with the same constraints as you, I'd
look hard at Lua, though I don't know what conclusions I'd come to,
since I have the luxury of not working in a hardware-embedded
environment.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"I called my cat Boney, until she said that wouldn't do..."