>I've now a basic extension to srlua running which allows you to combine
>multiple (lua-) files in one zip file and than start it as a standalone
>executable.

Great idea (if the amount the Lua code -- and you can precompile it, of
course, to save space -- compresses is larger than the size of the
decompressor...).

Another way to do this on Windows would be to embed the "glued" codes
as resource entries (so they are inside the EXE proper) and then to UPX
the whole file. (UPX is a run-time in-memory unpackaging system. Highly
recommended to impress your friends when showing them how small your
Lua run-time is compared to their Perl or Python distro. The UPX
decompressor is very small.)

Has anyone tried using UPX for this (and is there an analogous way to
embed binary data into ELF binaries so that the original executable is
unaffected but the embedded data in technically "inside" as far as
exectuable packers are concerned)?