Mark Hamburg wrote:
* We cut the threshold computation in the GC so that it uses:
  g->GCthreshold = g->estimate + (g->estimate/8);

That's almost exactly a modification I made locally to work2, too.
I haven't yet looked into how appropriate a similar modification
in work3 would be (though I did notice that work3 generally has
similar memory wants as work2 -- I think I concluded from my
mid-November fiddling that stepmul>2 is *mostly* a red herring,
and changing the threshold growth factor as above is a more
effective way of restricting memory growth).

Regards,
--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3