And then there's the fun part that scripts can be Lua version independent, too.

I'm actually eager to follow by and see what kind of Universal Agreement you may end up with. ;P With the latest suggestion, any scripts & modules one has gathered become void when changing to next Lua version..

POSIX    Lua modules  /usr/local/share/lua/5.1/?.lua
POSIX    C   modules  /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/?.so

-ak