It's quite easy to get the localized 'Program Files' path off the registry with 100% Lua, if you would be interested.

But about the local/lib vs. local/share, still.. *nagging* I understand "binaries should to lib" and so, but.. what about precompiled Lua modules (.luc). They're 'binaries', right? And I'd personally prefer to keep a module's wrapper (.lua) and the module itself (.so) as close to each other in the filesystem as possible. Here, they actually fall way apart from each other (Win32 suggestion is better).

-ak