Bundles certainly aren't required on MacOS X, but they are both convenient
and probably get a somewhat cleaner presentation in the system's user
interface.

The module system we built for Lua 5 on MacOS X uses bundles, but we use it
as a way to also associate resources with a file in addition to code. For
example, a piece of code can have a collection of PNGs associated with it in
the bundle.

We did a bunch of other things as well such as disassociating the name of
the bundle from the name of the functionality being exported and allowing
bundles to export more than one namespace. This was done through manifest
files in the bundles. I provided additional details here:

Mark