On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 13:22 -0200, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> Perhaps it's time for a Lua workshop to try and get the community together.
> I imagine a 2-day workshop with 2 tracks: Lua internals and Lua applications.
> Perhaps starting with a Lua tutorial.

This sounds very interesting. I'd certainly be interested in it.

> Ideally, it'd be a very low-cost thing, held at and sponsored by a big
> institution, such as a Microsoft Lab or PUC-Rio or Harvard. All we'd
> need is a room, computer and projector.

I guess this depends on the number of people attending and whether or
not we want sponsorship to help important people attend.

> - Is there enough interest for such an event?

*raises hand*

> - How many people would be able to go?

Put it in Europe somewhere easy to get to and I'm there :-)

> - Where would it be?
> - When would it be? June or July 2005?

Looking at the general events for next year I would recommend June.

> - How do we find an sponsor?

I guess this list is as good a place as any to start.

> - Who would help organize it?

If you make it in the UK I'm happy to assist. I imagine there'll be
plenty of people in other countries prepared to help.

> - Could we try to make it a satellite event of a larger event?

This is a potentially good idea. Debian often manages to attach itself
to other events. It's a pity we didn't think of this earlier this year.
We could have attached it to the Debian conference in Porto-Alegre :-)

Debian's conference next year will be in Helsinki in Finland. Not sure
about other events yet.

> It'd be fairly easy to hold it at PUC-Rio or IMPA, both in Rio de Janeiro.
> Nice place, too! :-) But would people come from abroad?

Brazil is lovely and were I able to get sponsorship I'd love to go
again; unfortunately I can't easily afford the 600 UKP it costs to get
there and back :-(

> Perhaps it's easier in Europe (Microsoft Lab in Cambridge, UK came to mind)
> or the US (some university; Harvard held a Lua library workshop once).

The Microsoft Lab in Cambridge sounds like a good choice. Close to good
transport links (45 minutes from London's airports for a start). Of
course; I'd love to visit Harvard too :-)

> Anyway, what do you think?

I think it's a wonderful idea and I hope we can make it happen.

> PS: This will help getting our minds off useless arguments.

Good luck :-)

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895