On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 02:00:09PM -0600, Matt Hellige wrote:

> I agree. There is absolutely no doubt that Lua is a textbook example
> of lexical scoping. The behavior that Rich is talking about is
> implemented, for example, in Java's inner classes, where it is
> universally hated. The Java implementation is generally considered an
> implementation shortcut taken to avoid having to implement true (or at
> least traditional) lexical scoping.

Java is a static language, so I'm not sure what its relevance is here.
I'm coming to this from the point of view of functional programming.

The two languages that Roberto and I are comparing are Lua and Scheme,
but the concept of closures is quite independent of any specific language.
Closures are all about ..... closure.  The word really means what it says.

Rich Artym.
--
Existing media are so disconnected from reality that our policy debates
spin around a fantasy world in which the future looks far too much like