The simplest way to do that is with error; you can catch the errors with pcall.

> do local exit = {};
>>   function breakscript(x) if x then error(exit) end end
>>   function doscript(chunk)
>>     local ok, err = pcall(chunk)
>>     if not ok and err ~= exit then error(err, 0) end
>>   end
>> end
> function X(str) local chunk = assert(loadstring(str, "in")); return doscript(chunk) end
>
> X [[ print "hello"; breakscript(); print "world"]]
hello
world

> X [[ print "hello"; breakscript(1); print "world"]]
hello

-- Note that it does not affect normal error handling

> X [[ print(a.foo); breakscript(1); print "world"]]
[string "in"]:1: attempt to index global `a' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function `error'
        stdin:5: in function `doscript'
        (tail call): ?
        stdin:1: in main chunk
        [C]: ?

On 20-Oct-04, at 4:49 PM, Brett Kapilik wrote:

Hi,

I know that this has been addressed before, but I can't find it for the life of me. My question is:

Is there an integrated way (or even a hack) to halt the execution of a Lua chunk. What I would like is something like:

print ("hello");
breakfromscript;
print ("world");

would produce:

hello

That is, the fictional "breakfromscript" call would stop excution of the current script (from pcall). Kind of like doing a return from a function.

This would be really helpful as a way to short circuit script executions in lengthy scripts. I know that there are all sorts of "good" ways to do this like using if.. else and using functions, but it wouldbe helpful to our customers if there was a way to just tell the Lua engine to simply stop executing the current script chunk.

I am even willing to put a small hack into the Lua engine source code if one exists.

Thanks!

- Brett