From: Rici Lake [mailto:lua@ricilake.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:34 AM
To: Lua list
Subject: Re: Functional objects

On 22-Sep-04, at 12:33 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> PiL finishes the chapter on object-oriented programming with the rather
> Scheme-like approach of implementing objects as function closures.
> Would it
> make sense to define obj:msg( ... ) as meaning obj( "msg", ... ) if
> obj were
> a function? This has the downside of meaning that the syntax is no
> longer
> simply sugar, but it had already ceased to be treated as such in the
> implementation.

Now that I've thought about this since the first time you suggested it,
it seems more reasonable to me. I find it particularly attractive for
the case where obj is a coroutine.

To answer Alex's concern (and the second part of the suggestion which I
think is unworkable), the compiler does not need to know what type of
object is being self-called, because it simply injects a self call
opcode, which causes the VM to turn (object, method) into
(object[method], object). A very simple change to that opcode would
handle the case where object was a function (i.e., do nothing instead
of reporting an error).

However, it does create an ambiguity in the case where object is either
a table with a __call metamethod or a userdata with both __call and
__index metamethods. Perhaps this is not serious: this could be dealt
with by simply documenting that gettable (if it exists) takes priority,
even if it fails to find the key.

Rici