Yes, I'd definately vote for it, too.  However, you can:

-require -DUSE_POPEN explicitly, so the _user_ decides, when to ask for it
  -if no -DUSE_POPEN, don't even declare it.

Now, I need to flip in my copy-pasted w0 popen, and it's.. well.. hard.

In fact, I'll just blow it into the liolib.c anyhow.. HAHAHAHA - you CAN*T STOP ME! >;D

-ak