I don't know that much Portuguese, but in Spanish the word "discutir" usually means "argue" rather than "discuss", although it has the same root as the English word and can theoretically mean the same thing (and indeed, in English
it can mean "argue"; it is really a question of emphasis).

Manuel Seco's dictionary cites Francisco de Cossío to illustrate the use of discutir meaning "talk with the goal of reaching an agreement"; I thought the
quote was also apropos so I translated into English:

"Many people attended these debates [las discusiones]... in which each person could ask to speak and be given the floor, even though they knew nothing about what they were discussing."

(Asistía a ellas [las discusiones] mucho público, como ocurre en los espectáculos gratuitos, y mås en este, en el que cada cual podía pedir la palabra y consumir un turno, aunque no supiese nada de lo que discutía.)

Computer terms often translate badly into other languages... but sometimes
bad is good ;)