Steven Elkins wrote:

I should've explained that in BSD-land gmake is gnu make.  They give
it a new name since they already have BSD make.  You were right, gcc
was the problem:

Actually I know that gmake is gnu make on bsd, but still it's not necessarily the same version that I'm using so the problem could have been there too.

Now I run into this...

sge:612$ gmake clean
[cleaning]
rm -f bind-fltk-ext.o tbind-fltk.o lua5-fltk.a bind-fltk.cxx
sge:613$ gmake
[preprocessing fltk.cxx]
In file included from fltk.cxx:1:
/usr/include/malloc.h:4:2: warning: #warning "<malloc.h> is obsolete,
use <stdlib.h>"
[generating binding from fltk.i]
/bin/sh: ../../srtti.lua: No such file or directory
gmake: *** [bind-fltk.cxx] Error 1
rm fltk.i
sge:614$
I think this may be beyond the idiosyncracies of my platform since I
don't see any .i files in the tarball.  There should be at least one,
no?

The problem is not the .i file, it will be generated by the C preprocessor. When the makefile stops, as it is an intermediate file, it is deleted that's why you don't see it. The problem is that it cannot find the file ../../srtti.lua. That's not normal since it's in the archive. Have you moved the directories around ? srtti.lua is in the top directory, while the makefile is in samples/fltk, so it should be ok. Then probably you'll have another problem, that file ../../srtti.lua is run as a script, the first line tells where is the interpreter , it is
#/usr/local/bin/lua-5.0
So you have to make sure that you have a lua 5 interpreter with that name in your /usr/local/bin directory, or change that first line in the script to point on the correct path. Also, in case of, you could try chmod +x srtti.lua, altough tar should have kept the correct flag on the file.

Vincent Penne.