First off, apologies for not threading my discussion properly. I keep getting authorisation problems from the server, so I'm posting things in a less-than-ideal way.

I had a look at LuaCheia, which did what I wanted: listing directories!

It seems to me that there's always going to be a kind schizophrenic tension in Lua, between those who want simplicity and cleanliness, and those who want the batteries included. If I may be facetious for a second, maybe the home page of Lua should contain the warning: "Are you /really/ sure you wouldn't much rather be programming in Python?"

I concede that I don't really know the answer to these problems. Maybe there isn't one.