Andreas wrote:

> Kind of. I'm trying to replace the old script language in
> my program with Lua and want to keep up compatibility as
> good as it's possible.

I agree with everyone else that, all else being equal,

  test = newarray(100)

is the best thing to do.  But if you're really interested in
keeping things compatible with the old scripting language,
you could experiment with something based on the following
hack:

  Lua 5.0.2  Copyright (C) 1994-2004 Tecgraf, PUC-Rio
  > setmetatable(_G, { __index = function(Junk, Name) return Name end })
  > print(glarg)
  glarg

Then newarray could expect to receive the name of the array
as a string.

--
AARON B.
Farmington Hills, Michigan, U.S.A.