First, I can work offline.  I'm offline right now in fact.  My job lately
has taken me to many interesting places.  I'm usually quite busy there, and
network connectivity has been expensive, sporadic, broken, filtered, and/or
unbelievably slow.  (Boldly exploring the limits of packet loss my OS's TCP
implementation can tolerate.)

Really, this depends on how important Lua is to you (as people have said before). Personally, if I'm 'offline', I don't want to know about Lua stuff. Getting the mailing list messages uses up bandwidth I'd rather not use if possible.. I'd rather it wait until I get back to the office.

If I'm on limited bandwidth, I want to just get messages which are important.

I could "turn off" my subscription to the mailing list, but that means that I won't get the messages into my email client at all (the mailing list won't serve them to me when I turn my subscription back on), so I have part of the data locally, and part on the mailing list archive - so I've lost my email client's searchability. A forum wouldn't have that. All the data would always be in the same place.

Second, I don't have to depend on the forum site being up to be able to use
it.

Agreed, but, again, it depends on how important it is to you. If the forum was offline at weekends, it wouldn't bother me at all - I use weekends for my family.

Third, I can skim through messages as fast as I want.

Fair enough.

As a side effect, this also generates far fewer ad views for those sites....

(Why is that good - most sites that use ads do it as an alternative to charging you for usage, or ceasing to exist. Would you rather pay a fee to use the site, or that the site didn't exist?)

Finally, I don't have to put up the provider's idea of what a good UI is.  I
can (and do) switch mail clients often.  I can't fix the forum software, and
even if I could, you probably don't like my taste in UI anyway.

Agreed again, but, to me, that's a minor issue.

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support@pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/