I'm running a bunch of scripts at user-initiated times all in the same Lua
state.  Many of these load other scripts in order to access common
functions.

As Rici pointed out, Lua will pretty much handle things the way you'd like it to.

But, instead of reloading the same stuff over & over again and worrying about performance, why not simply keep better track of what's loaded into your state?

Using require (or a require-like mechanism) could prevent most of the reloading/redefining, I think.

Ashwin.
--
no signature is a signature.