I've been using 5.1 for a few months now and I've noticed a significant
increase in GC performance.

I don't have prof numbers, and your results may vary depending on your
applications, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The only porting issue I encountered is in the C api with the
consolidation of the GC functions into a single function called
lua_gc().

-Kevin