John Belmonte wrote:

Michael, please consider that this is a list for technical discussion by software developers. Although I don't believe it myself, it may very well be true that web forums are increasing at a faster rate than plain lists. This may simply reflect that non-technical discussions are on the rise. I would argue that within technical communities, the use of mailing list is certainly not declining.

Forum  use is on the increase, yes probably mostly amongst the crazy
young uns for chiterchatter but then that is where the main influx of
new net users, who really use, is coming from. It is very easy to setup
and can create a living community rather quickly,  It may die just as
fast and also host rather pointless content but thats not really the
point, the point is that there are plenty of people out there using them
which means they are a useful tool.

The needs of these two types of users is different. I acknowledge the ease of use of web forums for non-technical people. But technical people tend to need to follow a great many discussions (as I said, I'm on 25 mailing lists myself). Even with an RSS aggregator, if I had to hop around to 25 different web sites to read messages, and perhaps learn several different navigation interfaces, I'd be pulling my hair out.

First let me say that I personally am perfectly happy with a mailing
list, it suits my needs. I don't actually have any problems with Lua it
does what I need in a remarkably sensible way and I've been able to
answer any questions I've had with it by RTFM. I'm here simply to lurk
and soak up any useful information that may flow by, one day I may even
start answering questions.

But I don't think that I am really an average user, an average user is
probably going to have maybe one or two problems with Lua, probably
simple misunderstandings and turn to the mailing list (hopefully after
searching the archives) for help. They may post a question, wait for
answers then either unsubscribe or just hide mails in a lua mail folder
that they don't really read. In effect they would be a casual user.

This casual user would probably prefer a forum interface.

Unlike a mailing list archive the old forum msgs still feel alive. If a
search finds an old post thats close but not quite what you wanted you
may simply comment on that one and hopefully attract the attention of
the original questioner who may now be able to answer your question.
This is simply not going to happen on a mailing list, you will not
comment on any msg/thread that predates you joining the list but you may
well ask exactly the same or similar question. Mailing lists are simply
organized more by time stamp than by subject.

Assuming they have asked for email notification of comments a casual
forum user will also still be around and still hopefully be interested
in their topic long after they would have stopped paying attention to a
mailing list.

Joining a mailing list is a huge commitment compared to using a web
forum. I have accounts on forums I visit every few months and catch up
on things of interest I do not subscribe to any mailing list that I
don't fully read.

It is also not a case of either/or as I understand it FUDForum provides mailing list integration.

http://fudforum.org/features.php

* NNTP & Mailing List integration, allowing FUDforum to be used to
archive newsgroups & mailing lists, as well as allow forum members to
post messages to newsgroups and mailing lists via the forum.

I haven't tried to use it but it cant really be that complicated,
probably :)

So an integrated forum could be setup without risk of schism and would
be a preferable interface for some users, notably the users that are not
here to say they would prefer it and the ones that benefit most from the
expertise of people that are here...

This could also be done by anyone with the will/ability to host and time
to setup/admin. Note that just setting up a forum in parallel to this
list is simply not going to work out because, well, schisms are bad, mkay..

--

Kriss

http://XIXs.com -><- http://www.WetGenes.com