Ok, I think I've got it now.

I need to create a wrapper class that will be the userdata.
Inside the wrapper class will at least contain a pointer to my
instanced class and a function wrapper for each function I need to
call in the instanced class from Lua.

Then after I create my instanced class, the factory needs to call a
function that creates the new userdata, then sets the user datas
pointer to instanced class.
I also create a metatable for the userdata that has the methods I need
to call on my instanced class and point them to the wrapper functions
for each of those.

Wow, its a lot to get your head wrapped around at first.
It's interesting how few tutorials there are for Lua on the net.

Let me know if I am on the wrong track, if not, thanks for pointing me
in the right direction everyone.

Ryan.