I think most of people that use Lua like it by its simplicity, I'm afraid
that Lua will lose this property, an undesirable damage...

Why not using ONLY the '#' symbol to comment the end of the line?
You allways can nest comments like this:

# This is a long comment...
#
# # with a nested comment
# # inside
#
#

In my opinion, to nest comment is a bad programming style in general.
With single line comments, it is more easy to know which part of code
is commented.

Moreover, most text editors allow you to comment an entire region with
single line comments very easily, so that to nest and un-nest comments in
this way is straightforward.

Best regards,
Salva