I agree with your points and, personally, try to avoid metatables and whatever "sophisticated Lua" whenever possible. Just to keep things simple.

In fact, I would regard metatables, proxys, weak tables.. as an "advanced Lua" altogether, which the normal programmer, or non-programmer even less :) does not need to master.

The situation is quite the same as with C++, providing -on the one hand- mysterious ways of making classes, templates, blahblah and on the other - the nice ease of use if those are done right.

For any organization using Lua, I would regard 1-2 persons knowing it "insight out" to be enough. The number of people using it for basic programming (and being _very_ productive in it!) can be hundreds.

-ak