> Has somebody some procedure to do this?

I'm not a fan of autoconf either, but my suggestion would be to use luac to compile a minimal chunk ("return"), and look at the magic number byte in the resulting file. Byte-code files start with the signature \033Lua; the following byte will be 0x40 for Lua 4.0.1, 0x50 for 5.0-5.0.2 and 0x51 for 5.1 (according to the current release).

That's assuming that you can find the executable, of course.

Rici