So, by 'serializable' you mean that in your app you can say something to the tune of

lua_State* L = <...>
storage_object = save(L)
L =  load(storage_object)

I would like to know what had constituted the bulk of your hard work on serialization code and where does STL come in with respect to serialization? I am working on serialization code right now and so far not considering any brute force methods (like using a persistent memory or just dumping internal lua structures to a file).

Thanks,
Alex