Ashwin Hirschi wrote:

Hmmm... interesting. Are you using Lua 5? On what platform?

I've just benchmarked the same code on my Lua 4 system under Windows. The second loop performs definitely better than half the speed here. It needs approx. 1.6x the time needed for the 1st loop.

Ashwin.

Lua 5 compiled on VC7.1 release build. AMD Athlon XP 1.47, Windows XP.

Just to verify that it wasn't my framework giving anomilous readings I reran it in the interpreter and got similar results.

With the loop bumped up to 100,000,000 it took 10 seconds for local variables and 21 for table accesses.

Jack