I don't think buying the books would be that bad, though. It depends on the situation.

One of the absolute best programming courses I've taken was about ARM processors. At the beginning of the two-day course, we all got our own, paperback book that covered the whole course. This was an excellent way, and left a lasting reference for later work.

Not that I ever used ARM since, but.. ;)

-ak