On Wednesday 07 April 2004 11:20 pm, Brian Hook wrote:
> Is TkLua officially dead?  The last revision I've seen is a port to
> 4.0 by Christian Vogler -- is there any intention of seeing it moved
> to 5.0 "officially"?

I might port it to Lua 5 at some point in the future. If our project switches
over to Lua 5 in the future, this definitely will happen. But there is no
telling exactly when. Before this can happen, a fix to tolua 5 is necessary,
which is on my todo list, but is very complicated. At present this issue is
holding back the entire porting effort of our project, so no tklua port
either.

For the curious, the problem is one of mistaken object identities:

struct A {
   int x;
};

struct X {
   A a;
};

X x;

In this case, &x == &x.a, and tolua 5 mistakenly assigns the same object
reference to them. tolua 3 and 4 solved this problem by performing an
explicit typecheck at the appropriate places. Unfortunately, doing this while
maintaining a consistent state in the presence of garbage collection is
incredibly complicated in tolua 5.

Regards
- Christian