From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
[mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br]On Behalf Of Andre Nathan
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 4:37 PM
To: Lua list
Subject: Re: Packaging Lua libraries

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 19:08, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> Probably supposed to say $PREFIX/lib/lua5 here?

Yeah, I sent an email correcting it, but I wasn't fast enough :)

> Also, maybe it should
> be lua50, lua-5.0 or whatever instead as (?) Lua 5.1 is incompatible?

Can anyone confirm that? Will 5.1 really be incompatible? If so,
I believe that having /usr/lib/lua/{5.0,5.1} would be nicer, to avoid
too many directories under /usr/lib.

> There are two kinds of version numbers for libraries, the "package
version"
> and "API version". For example, the main Lua library under Debian is

I believe the "API version" is a Debian-specific thing. At least on
Mandrake, FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly, and IIRC Gentoo, what I have is
"liblua.so.$version.0", with a "liblua.so" symlink.

Andre

--
There is not much to choose between a woman who deceives us for another,
and a woman who deceives another for ourselves. -- Augier