On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> I don't know much about XML parsing, but I've come across NunniMCAX
> 	http://nunnimcax.nunnisoft.ch/en/
> and tried it and it seems to be kind of minimal tool that would be useful to
> have as a Lua library. I don't know how it compares with expat and other XML
> parsers.

Size: it's about a third the size of expat.  OTOH many systems will
already have expat installed.

It doesn't handle DTDs.  Oh well.  How many people are using DTDs
during parse for attribute default handling or internal entities?
(That's an honest question, not sarcasm.)

It doesn't handle encoding normalization.  That's a bigger deal.  But
Lua doesn't do anything special with Unicode vs locale-specific
encodings, so we will have problems there regardless.

It doesn't handle namespaces.  This could be provided in Lua if
desired.

I don't have a feel for performance.  Except for *really* small
environments, I think I'd stick with expat for everything, unless the
NunniMCAX performance was stunningly better, and I could accept its
limitations.

What I'd really like is a nice C-based event pull parser...there don't
seem to be any....

Jay