>I'm still not clear on why no Lua code is distributed with the
>core distribution: it can be 100% portable, just like C code, and just as
>useful and fundamental as the standard C libraries.

Because adding things to the package means more things to worry about,
things that must be kept up to date and that must work etc.

Following our usual inclinations, we've been trying to reduce the number of
extras, which are the things included in etc/ and test/ in the distribution.
(Now is a good time for people to tell us which of these extras are useful and
which are not and can go.)

Anyway, what Lua code did you have in mind?
--lhf