This is my first message to the list. I just discover lua , and I'm very interested on lua for many purposes, nowadays i'm building some packages of lua for pkgsrc (www.pkgsrc.org)

But taking a little look on all packages, I can see that there's a little caos in this topic. for example luacheia, luasocket, luaXML, etc. everyone is using lua4 syntax (or not, like luasocket that there's a v5 version). luaFLTK doesn't builds, etc.

I create a message into:
[0:/usr/pkgsrc/wip/luasocket]$ cat MESSAGE
$NetBSD$

To use luasocket in your lua programs you must set this environ variable:

   LUA_INIT = "loadlib('${PREFIX}/lib/libluasocket.so','luaopen_socket')();"

The rest of luasocket modules are installed in:

   ${PREFIX}/lib/lua/

It could be usefull for anybody I think.

Why don't start patching all modules to use lua5 syntax, and take a common build method, etc. ?

pop