Hi Andy,
you might want to download the LuaCheia binary package (w/ installer) for Sourceforge:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/luacheia/luacheia5-win32-5.0.0a3.exe?download
it's 976 kb and has all required dlls packaged
(I'm not sure which version of Lua etc. the binary on the Wiki uses, it might be rather outdated...)

Hope this helps,
Martin

Andy Jones wrote:

I'm finding this whole thread very interesting, because I'm looking for a Lua+bits that I can do some leisure programming with and maybe introduce my nephew to.

So I downloaded the Lua-lm executable from the Wiki, then the SDL library.  However:

loadmodule("SDL")
error: cannot load module SDL:

stack traceback:
  1:  function `loadmodule' [C]
  2:  main of string "loadmodule("SDL")" at line 1

The SDL dll is in the same folder as the rest of Lua-lm.

Any ideas??