Hello Joe,
> which is pretty good, except for the fact that it cannot explain
> a few instructions like getupval and setupval.  I may not need
> them anyway.

Eheheh. Ooops. Without GETUPVAL and SETUPVAL opcodes you can't access/see
global variables (level - 1 in the scope - upvalues). Example (see with
luac -l -p):

function returnAfunc()
 local x = 10;
 return function() print(x) end
end

returnAfunc()();

I'm trying to make a translator of lua bytecode to C code, I think this is
the opposite of you.
    Well, I have learned a little, then, you are free to ask me (please in
pvt), and if your questions are related with this little knowledge, I will
try to explain to you.

(PS: To ALL: Roberto Ierusalinsk's Lua Book cover this?).

                                                            The God's Peace,

Leandro.