I did find this document explaining Lua's opcodes:

http://www.zedshaw.com/writings/luas-lvm-instructions/luas_lvm_instructions.html

which is pretty good, except for the fact that it cannot explain
a few instructions like getupval and setupval.  I may not need
them anyway.

Between this and examining generated code it ought to be enough.
Thanks.