I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but here goes:

I'm currently using Lua as an embedded scripting language in a game
engine I'm working on. I've exposed the various attributes of the actors
("entities" if you like that term better) via Lua.

My current plan (which is working out nicely) is to expose that
functionality for those that needed and then I write Lua functions to
further wrap up functions when possible (I guess they'd be equivalent to
your "enemyclose," etc., though my game is a top-scrolling shooter).

Additionally, all of the actor attributes (x, y, velocity, acceleration,
angle, etc.) are stored in a C structure (created as a Lua userdata).
This way access from C is still very fast (since the triangle
hit-detection is what currently uses the most CPU time).

Lastly, I've setup my engine so that it automatically loads all Lua
files in a directory. This will allow users to add new weapons and
enemies if they want to give it a shot. Sure they could cheat, but I
want the game to be fun, not hard, so if you wanna cheat, that's just
fine.

I guess I rambled a bit more than necessary. Hopefully some of that was
helpful.