> Any ideas at all where the issue lies?

No. I was using those test drive machines from HP
(http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/).  The connection from here to the
test drive machines is not very fast, so it is not very confortable to
work there.  I just installed Lua there and ran the whole test set. Then
the seg. fault appeared. At the same time some one came with that other
seg. fault (which in the end boiled down to that missing -fPIC option);
as both machines were using gcc 3.2.2, I jumped into a wrong path.

-- Roberto