RH> Here's a completely different request...

RH> How about Lua sending the text through some preprocessor first?

I think some sort of hook function might be neat, that is called
before the lua code is actually compiled, and may alter the source
code. With such a thing, C style #defines could be implemented, but
also more complex things like a scheme-style hygienic macro
preprocessor. I have no need for that currently, but it would be cool
to have. Might pose some interesting problems, though...

Gunnar
--
"They that can give up lib-   Gunnar Zötl           Tel. 06071-612079
 erty to obtain a little      Friedhofstraße 55     Fax. 01212-512317564