Just to add my .02 to this conversation - and yes it has been a long time since I have posted.

The ~= has bit me more times than I can easily count, and since I embedded LUA in a commercial product, has bitten a number of my customers and several support staff members as well.

I would vote for a change to either <> or !=, but if the change is made also leave support for ~= in place, but depreciate it's usage to maintain backward compatibility.

And my final point has to do with the argument that LUA is LUA not C or C++ or anything else - and while this is true, I don't find it relevant to the discussion.... LUA is usually "hosted" by a program written in some other language - most notably C or C++ - so given it's usage - abiding by some of the more common conventions of the host language seems to make pretty good common sense.

Thanks
Terry Bayne