I brought up table gc metamethods on the list before and never received a
satisfactory (to my thinking) answer.  I am of the opinion that aggregation
mechanisms should always have a finalization option so that logically tied
"objects" (of whatever form) can be shutdown in a controlled fashion.
Judged by that "opinion" the lack of a gc metamethod for Lua tables is
flagrantly wrong.

The reason I received for not supporting this is something of a systemic
design decision.  Lua is garbage collected, without invoking userdatas no
resources other than memory can be allocated from within Lua.  Therefore,
there is nothing a Lua (non-userdata) "aggregate" can do to release
resources other than allow them to be garbage collected, and since they will
be garbage collected automatically, there is "nothing" for a Lua
(non-userdata) "aggregate" to do on finalization, and so tables don't "need"
a gc metamethod, and writing one would just be "bad thinking".

Unfortunately, this means that you should not support a state dependent
construct from within Lua.  For instance, you should not build a
write-caching (or similar) construct from within Lua because cached data
would not be written out when the construct was no longer referenced.  Of
course you could provide a "close" function, but then you are back to the
old game of always "taking great care" with how you use your constructs
<just like not leaking memory in C>.  Unfortunately, you'll need to take
this great care from inside an overall system that assumes you don't need to
"take great care" because it is garbage collected.

However, I do have a partial work around for this (if you can add userdatas
to the target "system").  A userdata can easily be used to encapsulate a
table by assigning it a metatable that includes a table for its __index and
__newindex members (the encapsulated table and metatable can be the same
table).  The __gc member of the metatable will be called upon garbage
collection of the userdata.  As I said the main downside to this is that you
have to be able to create a userdata and assign a metatable to it (which
requires C side support).  Additionally, I am not certain how for/next/etc.
will respond to this "table" since it is actually a userdata.