From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
[mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br]On Behalf Of Tim Conkling
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 1:04 PM
To: lua-l
Subject: Lua C Functions in C++ class

I have a C++ class that exports some functions to a Lua environment.
These functions are, of course, static, but they need to access member
functions/variables of the class. The only way to do this (that I can
think of) is to make those class members static as well, because
there's no way to associate any sort of user data with the exported
functions -- they only receive the lua_State* parameter, so I can't
tell them which class they belong to when they're called. This wouldn't
be such a problem, except that it's possible I might want multiple
instances of this class at once, and clearly if they're both
manipulating the same static members, there'll be problems, since these
members really shouldn't be static.

I can't think of a great way to solve this problem that doesn't involve
jumping through hoops every time a function of the class gets called.
Is there a design pattern I'm missing here? What do other people do in
this situation?

Tim