Gang,

Can someone give me a quick overview (or direct me to a page) that describes what lua_refs can do? I've been looking for details on them, but most web pages mention them without giving a "here's what and how" about them...

They're also not in the 5.0 manual (that I was able to find).

FYI, what I'm hoping they'll be useful for is something like this: I'd like to store an arbitrary lua type (be it a variable, a table, a function, etc) in my C code for later use.

So Ideally, I could

myCPPObject->luaRef = lua_ref(L, true) -- take whats on the top of the stack and make a ref

then, later in my C code, I can then use that:

lua_getref(myCPPObject->luaRef); -- push the contents of the ref
	<call a lua routine>

and then when done, no longer reference it:

	lua_unref(myCPPObject->luaRef)

Is this how lua ref's work?

thx,
ando