True enough....

But, perhaps I'm misunderstanding something (not yet having looked into refs - hey, it's the weekend) but this is my understanding of them based on these email exchanges.

Say I have a global variable named "foo".

If I'm accessing it a lot (from C++ that is) by name, doesn't every access go thru a string compare look up in the global table? And isnt it the case that if I make a reference to that variable and use that for my access, there will no longer be a string compare?

Is there still a ref look up? Or is it a direct value (such as a ptr or index, etc)?

thx,
ando