>Is there a way to *free* a variable? I mean, without resorting to
>garbage collection?

Values are freed, not variables. Actually, garbage is collected, and that's
the only way to do it in Lua.

In general, you should try to believe what Lua promises you: good garbage
collection, fast table access, fast vm, etc. When and if this belief is shown
to be unfounded, then we have a performance bug in our implementation of Lua,
which is something we'll work hard to correct. I think our track record is
pretty good...
--lhf