> Is the otherwise excellent "Programming in Lua" going to be updated to
> reflect Lua 5.0 and, if yes, is there an estimated release date?

It is already updated! It is going through some revisions and final
design. I am going to edit it myself (with the help of some friends
who know about book design much better than me). I intend to print
it with Lightning Source, a print-on-demand service that is also
a distributor (subsidiary of Ingram), so the book will be available
at amazon.com and other on-line bookstores. I hope to have the final
book ready in 1~2 months.

(btw, thanks for the "excellent" :)

-- Roberto